Unit 2 Games
Unit 2 Games is an award-winning, Facebook-owned games studio based in Leamington Spa, UK. We were formed in 2017 to build Crayta - our dream to make game creation accessible to anyone and everyone.
We've won GamesIndustry.biz's Best Places to Work Award for the last two years, and we'd love to welcome more people to the team.
Most of us are still working remotely because of the ongoing Covid pandemic, and we share Facebook's vision for a fully connected metaverse future where that becomes even easier and more common. In the meantime though, while we all help to shape that future, we'd prefer to see most people (especially less senior members of staff) in the office for at least some of the week, when it's safe to do so. However, we are still open to discussing long-term remote working for highly experienced candidates in senior positions.
We are looking for a Principal Technical Artist for an exciting new creative and technical challenge with wide ranging responsibilities using the latest development tools for our live game as a service, Crayta. Work with our hugely talented and experienced team in approaching the unique challenges involved in developing a game platform.
- Take a leading role in optimisation of content for memory and performance whilst maintaining visual fidelity.
- Create high quality material prototypes that meet performance restrictions of the different target platforms.
- Working collaboratively between the art & programmer disciplines to overcome technical challenges.
- Understand a wide range of relevant and contemporary visual styles and techniques employed within game genres, game platforms and player expectations.
- Build strong collaborative working relationships with all members of the team and studio, regardless of discipline or seniority.
- Understand the audience and core goals and game ethos.
- 5+ years experience in a Technical Art role
- Highly proficient in automating processes with scripting, particularly using Python.
- Good understanding of Unreal Engine 4.
- Continually iterate across all art processes and pipelines to improve efficiency.
- Exemplify best practice in all areas of asset production and the process of taking an asset from conception to fruition.
- Solid understanding of colour theory, surface, form, scene composition, and lighting; and an appreciation of game level design.
- Experience using Crayta
- Excellent knowledge of Maya based tools and pipeline development.
- Experience with creating graphs in Substance Designer.
- Experience developing performant shaders using HLSL/GLSL.
- Experience in developing features in visual scripting languages such as Unreal Blueprint.
- C++ programming experience.
- Experience of working on mobile platforms.
- Experience working with memory/performance tools such as Renderdoc.
Salary & Benefits
Unit 2 Games is part of the Facebook family so all our employees enjoy a market-leading salary, stock and benefits package. This includes a range of health & wellbeing, family and financial benefits, as well as access to the Life@ Club which enables meaningful connections with Facebook staff around the globe.
Here is our list of company goals, they help us focus on what’s important to us when it comes to making decisions:
- Create great experiences that people love
- Act ethically to all and at all times
- Make a positive difference
- Put people first, not process
- Communicate honestly and openly
- Empower and support one another and our community
- Have fun!
To apply please email Careers [at] Unit2Games.com. Please note, you must have the right to work within the UK for us to be able to move forwards with your application.