Unit 2 Games
Unit 2 Games is an award-winning, Facebook-owned games studio based in Leamington Spa, UK. We were formed in 2017 to build Crayta - our dream to make game creation accessible to anyone and everyone.
We've won GamesIndustry.biz's Best Places to Work Award for the last two years, and we'd love to welcome more people to the team.
Most of us are still working remotely because of the ongoing Covid pandemic, and we share Facebook's vision for a fully connected metaverse future where that becomes even easier and more common. In the meantime though, while we all help to shape that future, we'd prefer to see most people (especially less senior members of staff) in the office for at least some of the week, when it's safe to do so. However, we are still open to discussing long-term remote working for highly experienced candidates in senior positions.
We are looking for a Principal Character Artist who is after an exciting new creative challenge. A talented artist who can make concept art come to life and create aspirational and desirable characters and outfits. Someone who can lead, inspire and develop character customisation on our exceptional project while putting as much power as possible in the hands of our player-creator community.. In this role you would also work with our exceptional art team & outsourcers in order to enhance capacity and maintain quality and report to the Head of Art.
- Model, sculpt, re-topo and texture high quality character models, outfits and their component parts.
- Translate and develop concept art into further characterisations.
- Bring fresh & creative ideas to the character and outfit art that add to the desirability of assets.
- Work with the team to understand and evolve our pipeline from asset creation to game.
- Collaborate with the Programming & Art team to find technical solutions for in game character customisation.
- Build strong collaborative working relationships with all members of the team and studio, regardless of discipline or seniority.
- Understand the audience and core goals and game ethos.
- 5+ years of experience making character art for games.
- Proven experience implementing game characters.
- Highly proficient in the use of job relevant software e.g. ZBrush, May, Substance and Photoshop.
- A strong portfolio of character work.
- Excellence in sculpting, modelling, texturing, surfacing and lighting to the defined quality and specifications.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of anatomy, excellent organic modelling skills and model deformation.
- Strong texturing ability and understanding of materials.
- UE4 experience.
- Experience with Face FX or similar.
- Experience working with Outsourcers with an eye for reviewing content.
- Hands-on experience with Crayta
Salary & Benefits
Unit 2 Games is part of the Facebook family so all our employees enjoy a market-leading salary, stock and benefits package. This includes a range of health & wellbeing, family and financial benefits, as well as access to the Life@ Club which enables meaningful connections with Facebook staff around the globe.
Here is our list of company goals, they help us focus on what’s important to us when it comes to making decisions:
- Create great experiences that people love
- Act ethically to all and at all times
- Make a positive difference
- Put people first, not process
- Communicate honestly and openly
- Empower and support one another and our community
- Have fun!
To apply please email Careers [at] Unit2Games.com. Please note, you must have the right to work within the UK for us to be able to move forwards with your application.