Unit 2 Games
Unit 2 Games is an indie developer founded by passionate and highly-driven industry specialists. Our 40+ studio is located in Leamington Spa, UK. We are proud to have been awarded GI.biz ‘Best Places to Work Award’ 2020 and 2021 consecutively.
So who are we? We are excited to have released Crayta - an original, accessible, and collaborative game-making ecosystem. Our goal is to iterate, improve and grow this game as a service for years to come.
We are looking for a Level Designer to create environments within Crayta (our game creation platform) that will inspire player engagement.
In this role you will be responsible for the structure and aesthetics of our platform’s Hub, working alongside a Technical Designer and supported by other members of the Development Team (including audio and UI support).
- Create beautiful and compelling social and gameplay spaces within Crayta
- Demonstrate concepts with visual paper design in collaboration with Art team
- Whitebox level walkthroughs to demonstrate and iterate
- Own realisation of your levels from inception to final dressing
- Balance level technical constraints with delivering beautiful aesthetics
- Oversee playtesting and use BI data to iterate design
- 3+ years professional experience in level design or environment art
- Experience with designing multiplayer spaces
- Understanding of how level design and level structure influences player behaviour
- Eye for artistic detail
- Interest in and understanding of a broad variety of game genres and styles
- Understanding of different audiences and their goals/drivers
- A portfolio demonstrating a proven track record of delivering release-quality gameplay experiences as part of a team
- Previous experience in creating voxel-based environments
- Demonstrable experience with Crayta
- Experience working with UGC editors (eg Roblox), Unreal Engine 4, Maya, and/or Substance Designer
- Experience working on Game as a Service titles
In terms of formal qualifications, it is agreed that levels of attainment should not be set. At Unit 2 Games Ltd we adopt an approach that relevant higher qualifications are ‘preferred’ as opposed to ‘required’. Respective artistic skills are paramount and to be considered for this role demonstrable and relevant skills and ability will be expected and sought.
Salary & Benefits
We strive to offer highly competitive salaries which are negotiable and dependant on experience, as well as a generous package of benefits, relocation assistance and a strong emphasis on a stable work/life balance. Our staff also benefit from a free fully stocked studio kitchen, regular social activities, a fantastic onsite games room, digital allowance and gym membership, as well as other various company medical and insurance benefits to name a few!
Here is our list of company goals, they help us focus on what’s important to us when it comes to making decisions:
- Create great games (measured by player enjoyment)
- Act ethically
- Make a positive difference
- Put people first (e.g. people over process)
- Communicate honestly and openly
- Empower and support one another and our players
- Have fun!
To apply please email Careers [at] Unit2Games.com. Please note, you must have the right to work within the UK for us to be able to move forwards with your application.